Tuesday, January 15, 2013

New Year's Resolutions - Delineator 1937

Just started looking at the January 1937 issue of The Delineator and stumbled across this entertaining article:

"Resolved To Do Right By Myself: New Year Resolutions, With a Dash of Enlightened Selfishness, That Will Make a New Woman of You."


A sampling of the resolutions listed:
  • To teach my maid to lie with convincing charm so I can avoid dull callers and telephone conversations.
  • To denounce swing music as cacophonous tripe if I prefer sweet jazz and symphonies.
  • To make him take care of his own dog even if I must resort to a little well-timed carelessness in feeding the pooch.
  • To admire his hair-cut and his new suits, willy-nilly.
  • To make him stop talking about girth and baldness and do something about it.
  • To own at least one dress or negligee which makes me feel feminine, clinging, luxurious and slightly wicked.
  • To wear always, the kind of underwear I'd be proud to claim as my own after the train wreck - if any.
  • To pay real money for a foundation garment if my figger needs a lift.
  • To cancel all dates, neglect the family darning and go to bed at sunset as soon as my mirror shows I'm getting a "death and taxes" expression.
  • To take enough exercise so I won't look like a marshmallow.
  • To try to see the good points in my face, my figrue, my disposition, and quit worrying about the flaws I can't do anything about.
I have mastered some of these (neglecting the dog) and may adopt of few of them for myself.  They sound pretty sensible to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment